Monday, March 12, 2012

Stuck at Mez-al-Sharif

I spent two weeks, at Camp Atterbury Indiana. Then I flew to Afghanistan, where I spent 5 days at Bagram. Then I flew to Mez-al-Sharif, where I am now. My final destination is Kunduz, Afghanistan, which will be my first duty station, on this project. I may stay there many months, I may be there only a short while. Such is the "fog of war".

This is not a good time to be in Afghanistan. A couple of days ago, a soldier went berserk, and went on a shooting rampage, and killed about 15 or so people, including some Afghan children. The shit is going to hit the fan now. I predict there will be riots, and more killing of Americans, like there was after the accidental burning of some Holy Qu'Rans.

I am stuck in the transient tent. The mattress is fair, but the lights are on 24 hours a day. I mostly relax in the USO tent. I can watch TV, and surf the net. The dining hall here is adequate, about average for Afghanistan. The Germans have a dining hall, that is a notch above the USA. They have porcelain plates and real steel knives and forks. I get tired of eating on cardboard, and using a plastic knife and fork.

There is a Green Beans coffee shop here, but I am not happy to pay $5 for a cup of coffee. When I get to my duty station, if there is no Keurig machine, I will buy one!

In the mean time, just relax and enjoy the rest.

No comments: