Sunday, January 04, 2009

Sunday night

Wrapped up the work here at Forward Operating Base Tillman. What a miserable and lonely place! I am very anxious to clear out, and return to my home base. I am going to have to fly back to FOB Orgun-E for an installation. When I get there, I may be stuck there for some days or weeks.

The sun came out, and the small volume of snow melted away, leaving the base a sticky mud-hole. I had chicken with penne pasta for dinner. I am appalled at the way soldiers waste food. Truck drivers risk their lives, to bring the supplies here, and then the soldiers pile the food on their trays, and then throw so much of it away. I say, take all you want, but eat all you take.

Physically, I am much better over the past couple of days. The medicine that I got from the Army doctors cleared me right up. The high altitude and the thin air, is still taking some getting used to. I have to walk a lot here, and the rough gravel works like torture on my feet. I have a new set of combat boots, but they are wearing out fast.

The ice froze out the satellite dish last night. On Saturday, the Army TV station broadcasts an episode of classic "Star Trek", and I like to watch the shows. The ice melted off the satellite dish, and I was able to watch some TV this afternoon. There are some new movies being released this spring, and I would like to see some of them. When I get back to the USA, I will go to the movies a lot!

It is now after 10pm here on the roof of the world. I think I will watch some CNN news, and then call it a night.

No comments: