Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Letter to the Grand Secretary and the Grand Master of Kentucky

To the Grand Master of Masons in Kentucky, and the Grand Secretary, I am in receipt of your recent letter, and I appreciate your concerns, respecting my assisting the Worshipful Master of Land, Sea, and Air lodge #1 (Grand Lodge of New York, F&AM), and my communications with my Grand Master (in New York). There have been some developments, that you are possibly not aware of, and I wish to bring to your attention. For some time now, I have been a dual member of both my Kentucky lodge, and a (fixed, permanent) lodge in New York, which is under the authority of the Grand Lodge of New York (F&AM). As a bona-fide New York mason, I am therefore permitted and encouraged to communicate directly with the Grand Master of Masons in New York, and any of the Grand Line officers, and with any New York Mason , on New York masonic matters. For the record, I am NOT a member of Land, Sea, and Air Lodge #1. LSA#1 is a traveling military lodge, and has no members. I have never been asked by the Grand Lodge of New York, nor by the Worshipful Master of LSA#1, to stop assisting on the project. I am no longer resident in Iraq. Any objections that you have to my assisting the Grand Lodge of New York, in Iraq, are therefore moot, and no longer applicable. I have NEVER been asked by any (NEW YORK) Grand Line Officer, either telephonically nor in writing, to cease assisting the Worshipful Master of Land, Sea, and Air lodge #1. Until I am asked formally to stop helping the Worshipful Master on this project (by the WM himself) , I intend to proceed. I wish to remind everyone, that I am under an obligation, to help aid and assist any brother master mason who comes to me for assistance. Any assertion that I am contacting a Grand Lodge of which I am not a member, is baseless. I AM a New York Mason. My membership with Master Builder lodge #911, Tonawanda New York has been duly completed and voted upon. I have been informed by the Grand Master of Masons in New York himself, by telephone, that my membership is with this lodge. I have been informed, telephonically, and by email that I am a full voting member of Master Builder 911, Tonawanda New York. Since I am a New York Mason, then I have every right to correspond directly with the Grand Master of Masons in New York, on New York masonic matters. I am NOT attempting to establish a lodge in Iraq, or anywhere else. Land, Sea, and Air Lodge #1, was established in 1917, 37 years before I was born. I am NOT attempting to assume authority for any lodge in Iraq. The Worshipful Master is resident in New York, and he alone is responsible. I am only assisting him in specific tasks that he has directed me to help on. I have every authority to assist in the Land, Sea, and Air lodge project. The Worshipful Master contacted me back in November 2005, and asked me specifically to assist. I am acting under his direct supervision and authority. The Worshipful Master has not rescinded this request. I am seeking NO aid from any (other) lodge or Grand Lodge, on this project. I am a Kentucky Mason (with dual membership in New York). I have asked for advice and guidance from a number of individuals, but I have never solicited any monetary donations. Individuals and lodges have donated certain morale and recreational items to the troops here, on their own initiative. For the record, the treasury balance of LSA#1 is ZERO. I want to make it quite clear, and have no misunderstandings. My work with the Worshipful Master and the Grand Lodge of New York, is at their specific request. I was asked to help on this project back in November 2005. The lodge had been operating in Iraq for some time, long before I was ever involved (see www.esmason.com Fall 2005 issue page 32). Everything that I have done has been well-documented, I answer all questions from individuals, and I keep a running account of my progress, on my blog. I am also getting some advice and guidance from the Supreme Council Scottish Rite (Southern Jurisdiction). I am NOT criticizing any individual in Kentucky, with respect to this project, either in Emails, nor in my blog. You can see my blog (www.cemab4y.blogspot.com) for yourself. Since this is a NEW YORK project, and New York is alone responsible, why would I want to criticize any Kentucky Mason? What would be the point? I am NOT criticizing any individual in New York, with respect to this project, either in Emails nor in my blog. I have offered some suggestions to the Grand Master of Masons in New York, and I have personally appealed to him both telephonically, in postal mail, and in email. As a bona-fide member of a New York lodge, I have every right to do this. I intend to follow every directive and rule of BOTH Grand Lodges of which I am a member. Now that you have a more complete understanding of the situation, with respect to my dual membership, I suggest that you cease any suggestions of possible investigations of my communicating (improperly) with the Grand Lodge of New York, which is my Grand Lodge. Any suggestion that I am in communications with a Grand Lodge of which I am not a member, is baseless and not factual. While we are on this topic, I would like to request that the Grand Lodge of Kentucky be more supportive of my efforts to assist the Grand Lodge of New York ,and the Worshipful Master of Land, Sea, and Air lodge #1, in bringing Masonry to the troops and civilians in Iraq. The masons here risk their lives every day, for your freedom, and they deserve to have a functioning lodge in Iraq, and to have the retreat of Masonry. Up until now, I have received virtually no support or encouragement (from the Grand Lodge of Kentucky) in my efforts to assist the Grand Lodge of New York, and the Worshipful Master of LSA#1 in this endeavour. If you do not wish to support the masons in Iraq and Afghanistan, at least get out of the way, and let the Grand Lodge of New York, (and other Grand Lodges) proceed with this effort. I am no longer resident in Iraq, and therefore not of much value in this project, but I intend to offer every assistance I can, to both the WM, and the Grand Master of Masons in New York, until asked specifically otherwise. After all, I am a New York Mason, and when asked to assist , I will. Here in Afghanistan, the Grand Lodge of Washington (state), as well as the Grand Lodge of Oklahoma, are assisting military masons with getting lodges underway here. At my base, there is even going to be an Eastern Star chapter. Although I am not directly involved with these efforts, I wish them well, and I will attend and fellowship with the new lodge here. If asked for help, I will give it. Masonically Thine, Charles E. MartinForward Operating Base Orgun, Afghanistan

No comments: