Monday, July 10, 2006

10 July 2006

Back to it. Could not sleep at all last nite. Got up at 0800, and rode the bike into the office. Wind blowing hard across the desert, by body works like a sail, pushing me back the wrong way! Finally got to the office. Must travel to Ramadi tonight. No rest for the weary.

Yesterday at church,we talked about the importance of keeping a journal. I mentioned that I keep a BLOG. Must keep it high-tech. Like a diary, but I broadcast mine out for all the world to see, and even make comments.

Been working 10 hours a day 7 days a week since I have been here. No matter. I like it. Some SOB stole the kickstand off my Mongoose bike. I do not understand why so many people steal here. We put our lives in each other's hands. I had a nice pair of sunglasses with a neck string, and someone stole them. I had a spare wheel for my bike, and someone stole that. If they had asked me for them, I would have gladly given them away.

I finished reading "The cruelest miles" about the sled-dog drive to get the vaccine to the sick children at Nome, Alaska. The book was fascinating, and it included some insight into what it is like to live in Alaska. One thing struck me. In one of the stories, the narrator said "In Alaska we have to trust each other, else we cannot live here". I feel the same way about life in Iraq. We put our lives in each other's hands. you must rely on your buddy in the foxhole. You must also rely on your buddy, when you park your bike in front of your hooch.

The bicycle is the preferred mode of transport here. There are hundreds of bikes. Soldiers and civilians use bikes for transport. Since we go months without rain, why not! I have a John Deere Gator, and I only use it, if I have to haul tools or luggage or packages. I much prefer my bikes.

My computer is still back in California. It was busted, and I thought that the repairs were covered under warranty. Turns out that the internal damage was covered. The repair depot said that I needed a new battery, so I bought one. Turns out the battery was fine, the AC adaptor and the charging circuitry in the computer were defective, and that is not covered by warranty. Now I had to charge $225 on the American Express card, and then try for re-inbursement. The company authorized the repair, but they will howl regardless.

Getting close to lunchtime, I will close it off now.

No comments: