Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sunday afternoon

A quiet Sunday. It is Russian Orthodox Easter. I had a good supper last night. I fried two italian sausage links, and the house smelled like fennel and garlic. My mother-in-law has asthma, so she did not like the odor. My wife opened the windows, but kept the venetian blinds down and closed, so no air circulated.

I am suffering the effects of some kind of upper respiratory illness. I have not been sick one day in the last seven months in Afghanistan, and it is much more unhealthy up there. As soon as I get back to the USA, I get exposed to a whole new family of bacteria and allergens. My chest is sore, and I have a sore throat, and I am coughing a lot. I guess I will get over it in a couple of days.

I had a couple of bagels with strawberry cream cheese. I am enjoying drinking real american coffee, made in a drip coffeemaker. I also enjoy half-and-half in the coffee. I enjoy cooking my own meals for a change. Last night Larisa, sent me to the store for two containers of sour cream, and some whole-grain bread. I bought some spices. Army chow hall food, is bland, and they never use any spices. Even the chili is bland. I guess soldiers do not like spicy food. There is always hot sauce on the table, though.

It is a change to be in the house with two women. Larisa and her mom, have their own rituals. They do not have a good grasp on "kitchen science" and bacteriology. They leave a can of condensed milk, open, on the table for weeks. and they have left a can of creamed corn, on the counter for a week, open. Gross. I always make it a point to use only clean dishes and tableware. I have been washing the dishes in the dishwasher, because my wife does not keep a clean table.

No comments: